Alison J. Baldwin is a partner with McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff LLP and serves as Chair of the firm's PTAB Trials Practice Group. Ms. Baldwin has over a decade of experience in handling complex patent litigation matters. This litigation experience includes both jury and bench trials in federal district court, as well as advocacy in forums such as the Patent Trials and Appeals Board, the International Trade Commission and private arbitration proceedings. Ms. Baldwin’s litigation experience spans a diverse range of technologies, with a concentration in pharmaceuticals, medical devices and biotechnology. She is particularly well versed in the specific needs of pharmaceutical innovator clients in paragraph IV litigations.
Ms. Baldwin’s litigation experience crosses over into many other strategy applications for the firm’s clients, such as opinion work, freedom-to-operate analysis and patent portfolio analysis. While she has counseled clients in a variety of technology areas, her background in biotechnology and plant science allows her to have a personal understanding of the unique needs and challenges faced by the firm’s pharmaceutical, agricultural and biofuel clients.
Ms. Baldwin served for two years as a member of the firm’s Management Board. She was chairperson of the firm’s Business Development Committee and the firm’s Recruiting Committee. She is co-founder and immediate past co-chair of the MBHB Women’s Group (PINK).
What a client has to say about Ms. Baldwin:
“She’s very good technically and legally and a very good lawyer who presents herself well and represents the client very well.”
Ms. Baldwin's representative experience includes:
- Representing several innovator pharmaceutical corporations in ANDA litigations through trial, leading to favorable settlements.
- Representing Complainant in Section 337 investigation before the International Trade Commission regarding circuit board components that successfully resulted in every named defendant converting to a non-infringing product.
- Successfully defending companies, including a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company, in Section 337 investigations before the International Trade Commission which have each resulted in forcing the Complainants to withdraw their complaint and terminate the investigation.
- Defending Fortune 500 innovator pharmaceutical corporation at jury trial on patent infringement claims, with successful invalidation of asserted patent obtained on appeal.
- Successfully obtaining summary judgment of no patent infringement in multiple patent cases involving technologies ranging from consumer products to electronic devices.
- Successfully representing clients in arbitration process, including coordinating an international arbitration for a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company in a patent license dispute, leading to a multimillion dollar award for the client.
- Assisting clients in the plant science and biofuel industries in developing strategies for protecting their technology, including protection via the patent system, trademark system and the plant variety protection act.
- Authoring dozens of opinions regarding issues of patent infringement, validity, and enforceability.