Joshua R. Rich is a partner with McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff LLP. In almost 20 years of litigating intellectual property cases and counseling clients, Mr. Rich has built up broad experience in dealing with complex and difficult issues. He has successfully litigated cases in Federal and state courts throughout the United States, at both the trial and appellate levels. He has also represented clients before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and in arbitrations involving patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, and other commercial issues. In addition, Mr. Rich has worked closely with clients to avoid litigation in appropriate circumstances.
While Mr. Rich has represented clients primarily in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device fields, his experience has also included such diverse technologies as telecommunications, computer code, and graphical user interfaces. He is accomplished in all facets of trial and appellate litigation, ranging from pretrial seizures and preliminary injunction proceedings to bench and jury trials, appeals, and certiorari petitions. He works closely with clients to find the best solutions to intellectual property disputes.
Mr. Rich’s representative experience includes:
- Obtaining summary judgment of patent noninfringement and invalidity for a major medical device manufacturer
- Coordinating an international arbitration for a major pharmaceutical company in a patent license dispute, leading to a multimillion dollar award for the client
- Obtaining summary judgment of patent infringement for a major pharmaceutical company, leading to a favorable settlement
- Obtaining a preliminary injunction in a patent infringement case for a major animal diagnostic device manufacturer, leading to withdrawal of a competing product from the market
- Securing denial of a motion for preliminary injunction for a major pharmaceutical company in a drug patent infringement case based on a finding of “little or no likelihood of success on the merits” due to invalidity, leading to a settlement in which the plaintiff paid Mr. Rich’s client
- Representing several major pharmaceutical companies in ANDA litigation through trial, leading to favorable settlements
- Defending several major diagnostics companies in patent infringement litigation, leading to favorable settlements with immediate access to the market
- Prevailing in interference proceedings for a plastics company, securing critical patent rights for its products
- Prevailing in motions relating to attorney-client privilege for a plastics company, establishing important legal principles and leading to favorable settlements in patent infringement litigation
- Authoring amicus curiae briefs in landmark patent, trademark, copyright, and other cases in U.S. Courts of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court