McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff LLP is proud to be an official sponsor of the 2014 IP Counsel Cafe Spring Meeting entitled, “Patent Reform: the Second Wave – What Does it Mean for Your IP?.” It is set for April 1-4, 2014 in Palo Alto, California.
The America Invents Act (AIA) has done little to curb abuses by patent assertion entities (PAEs). In fact, suits brought by PAEs have tripled in just the last two years, rising from 29% to 62% of all infringement suits. We are now in the throes of a second wave of patent reform. Multiple bills are in the House, the Supreme Court has been asked to rule on patentability issues, even State governments have become active players through their consumer protection laws. As we grapple with patentability, other counrtires are fortifying and even accelerating their patent protection laws. What does this second wave of reform mean for U.S. intellectual property? Are the stakes higher? What long-term effects do IP Counsel need to confront today?
MBHB partner Bradley Hulbert is a co-speaker for the following panel presentation taking place from 10:50-11:40 a.m. on Wed., April 2:
How to Organize and Manage Your Global IP Portfolio
In today’s global economy, having a strong international patent portfolio gives a company strong defensive and offensive advantages. However, fully understanding the contents and voids in your portfolio can be a challenge. This panel will discuss how companies have organized their portfolios so that they can easily determine what they own, and quickly find what they need.
- How have companies mapped out their foreign filing strategy?
- What factors should you consider in your foreign filing decisions?
- How can you digest the massive amount of data about your own portfolio in order to understand what you own, and then apply the factors in developing your own filing strategy?
- Bill Becker, Vice President, Associate General Counsel, Align Technology
- Jeremiah Chan, Senior Patent Counsel, Google
- Malcolm Duncan, Ph.D., Director, Intellectual Property, SRI International
- Stuart Smolen, Director of IP, Juniper Networks
About IP Counsel Cafe
IP Counsel Café is committed to keeping you at the forefront of IP law. To that end, we conduct extensive research and work closely with the legal community to gather market intelligence and design informational tools that meet your professional and business development needs. Unique and forward-thinking, we address industry challenges in a new light. Things move fast in the world of IP law.
View complete details at http://www.ipcounselcafe.com/events/palo-alto-conference-april-1-4-2014/.